I have been planning this post for a while, but I wanted to make sure we finished our big improvements so I could write about it all at once.
If you didn’t know, my hubby and I moved to a new apartment at the end of February via a lease takeover. Unfortunately, the previous tenants left it absolutely filthy and pretty damaged. There were literally gaping holes in the walls. We have scrubbed every inch of this apartment with bleach water. And I mean every inch–even behind the fridge, behind the washer & dryer, and inside all the cupboards to name a few unusual places.
(1) We started with patching & texturizing the biggest hole in the bedroom. This was actually covered with spackle when we moved in, but it needed to be redone because it was way too large of a hole to merely spackle (it was literally sinking into the hole). Kona sped up the need to fix it, however, by eating through the spackle one afternoon when I was in the other room. In the end, though, I guess she did our work for us since we would’ve had to remove it all before we could re-do it anyway, lol.
The hole is now patched, re-plastered, and texturized. It completely matches the rest of the wall, so once we paint it an off-white, no one would even know there was a hole to begin with.
(2) Next, we shoveled out the years and years of dog poop and trash that the tenants left in the yard. It was absolutely revolting, and we filled 14 garbage bags!
(3) We bought a new shower head off Amazon since the one here had hardly any water pressure. We’d wanted a handheld sprayer shower head for bathing Kona anyway, so it worked out perfectly.
(4) We installed a hand towel ring by the bathroom sink, because for some reason there wasn’t one?? There was only one usable towel bar in the bathroom to begin with since the previous tenants had pulled the other out of the wall and left another gaping hole. The one remaining towel bar had to suffice for both bath towels and our hand towel, which was just ridiculous. We examined the wall right by the sink, and could tell that there even used to be a towel bar there for hand towels…and yet for some reason it had been removed and patched over.
For $5 at Walmart, we now have a much better solution for our bathroom hand towel. Our apartment complex should thank us for the improvement, lol. 😉
(5) We replaced the bedroom blinds. I never took a picture, and I should have, but literally half of the blinds were trashed, broken, and missing. It’s my opinion that a dog crashed through those blinds and damaged them. But the past tenants installed curtains instead of paying $10 at Walmart and taking fifteen minutes to replace the blinds. Our new blinds are an improvement anyway because they are cordless! I can’t stand those corded vinyl blinds…I can never pull it right to get it work for me.
THE REPLACEMENT BLINDS:
(6) We patched & texturized the hole from the other bath towel bar in the bathroom. With the help of Joshua’s coworker, the texture looks just like the rest of the walls now, and again, no one will be able to tell once the walls are painted. (We aren’t concerned about painting until we eventually move out. There’s been too much to do already to worry about painting for now.) We also installed a new bath towel bar, which has been absolutely fantastic!
I forgot to take a picture of the hole in the wall, but here is a “before” picture with just the patch, before the final plaster and texture.
(7) We took the dilapidated grill to the landfill for recycling. We were so excited when we initially noticed the grill in the yard, but upon closer inspection, we realized it was rusted and corroded. I doubt it was ever protected from the outdoor elements or maintained. There was no amount of cleaning that would have made me feel safe cooking food on it!
Our yard seems a lot bigger now that the grill is gone. When we have some extra spending cash, we will just purchase a brand-new charcoal grill because we obviously still want to grill now that we have a yard. 🙂
Those were all of our repairs! Oh, with the exception of emergency maintenance replacing our deadbolt because we kept getting locked in/out of our apartment since that was also broken. Also, we installed a new security latch on our door, since the other one was on a cracked and loose portion of the doorframe, which meant that the slightest bit of slamming on it would have broken the door frame right off.
Maintenance has also fixed the bathroom faucet (which was making a screeching sound whenever the hot water was on anything slower than full blast), replaced the stove hood light, and replaced a missing bathroom bulb.
The bathroom sink is beyond help. It’s old and plastic, it looks like a hole has been filled with caulk, and I’m pretty sure they burned it because there is a long black mark that I cannot scrub out. Oh well, we are simply renting, so I’m not going to care about that! Maybe we can find waterproof paint for that mark when we eventually move out.
It’s been a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of initial frustration, but we would still do the move all over again. This apartment is THAT much better than our last one, lol. Click here to read a comparison of our last apartment to this one. We adore our new home, and we are so grateful to have found it and that it worked out for us to move here. We are even more grateful now to have all the repairs done so we can just enjoy living here!
I hope you liked reading about our apartment “adventures”! 🙂
Until next time,